Mr. Coté attended college at Seton Hall University and graduated magna cum laude in 1980 with a degree in Economics. Two years later, Mr. Coté received his Juris Doctor degree (cum laude) from University of San Diego.
In 2004, Mr. Coté together with his friend and colleague, Mr. Albert J.C. Chang, shared a vision of providing legal services at the highest level to the business communities when the two partners decided to form the firm of Chang & Coté.
Prior to Chang & Coté, Mr. Coté was a litigation partner with the 400 plus attorneys international law firm of Arter & Hadden.
Mr. Coté has handled complex litigation cases covering contract disputes, shareholder/partner disputes, loan foreclosures, lender/broker/escrow liabilities, intellectual property infringements and labor disputes. Mr. Coté represented and continues to represent many notable banks and financial institutions in various state and federal courts with consistently exemplary results. Mr. Coté has over 30 years of experience as a trial lawyer and has chaired over 150 trials and arbitrations during his career, and has presided over several arbitrations and mediations in recent years.
In addition to being an experienced trial attorney, Mr. Coté has successfully argued before the California Supreme Court, California Court of Appeals and as well as various federal courts.
Areas of Emphasis
- General Business and Commercial Litigation
- Contract Negotiation/Documentation/Litigation
- Asset and Stock Purchases
- Shareholder/Partner Disputes
- Employment Disputes and Compliance
- Receiverships, Loan Workouts, Judicial Foreclosures, Mechanics Lien
- Lender, Broker and Escrow Liability
- Legal Audits
- University of San Diego (J.D., cum laude)
- Seton Hall University (B.S., magna cum laude, Economics)
- Admitted to Practice before all Courts of the State of California and the United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Member, Los Angeles County, Orange County and San Diego County Bar Association
- Certified Member, The Institute for Mediation Studies